Many people suffer from herniated discs without even realizing it, and a herniated (or bulging disc) can hold you back from even ordinary, everyday tasks.
The American Chiropractic Association reports half of the working population in the U.S. today experiences some form of back pain – so it’s no surprise that people are missing signs of an underlying issue.
A very painful condition, herniated discs occur when the jelly-like substance between your vertebrae leaks or ruptures outside of its normal parameter. The resulting pressure on nerves may cause pain in the neck or lower back, and can happen with simple wear and tear or sudden injury to your disc.
There are many different types of pain associated with herniated discs. If you experience any of the following symptoms, be sure to consult an expert for a proper diagnosis:
- Stiffness in the affected area – When you remain in one position for an extended period, rigor can occur. If you sleep or sit in a single position for too long, it can agitate the area.
- Tingling in the limbs – A sharp tingling sensation can occur when a herniated disc presses on and irritates a nerve.
- Numbness in the limbs – When numbness occurs, a nerve connected to the limb is being pinched.
- Pain from lifting – If you’re experiencing pain when bending or lifting objects off the floor, it may be a combination of a herniated disc and weakness in muscles that support the spine.
- Muscle spasms – May occur in the back or neck where the disc is herniated.
- Sciatic pain – Shooting pain radiating down the back of your legs.
Find Relief with Atlanta’s Back Pain Specialists
To ensure your condition is correctly identified and treated, the doctors at Atlanta Decompression review your medical history and conduct a thorough exam to determine the exact underlying cause of your pain before taking any further steps.
At Atlanta Decompression, we offer patients the opportunity to find back pain relief and improve disc health without invasive surgery. Upon completing a careful examination, we will create a personalized back pain treatment plan to strengthen and restore the affected area to provide you with lasting results. Treatment plans typically include any combination of non-invasive Spinal Decompression Therapy, Exercise Therapy and bioDensity, Nutritional Support, and Massage Therapy.
As Atlanta’s back pain specialists, we believe in a well-rounded approach to getting you back to living a pain-free life. We are happy to provide you with a complimentary MRI review and consultation to answer any questions you may have about your condition.
If you are experiencing back pain that is affecting your daily routines and are worried it might be the cause a herniated disc, please contact Atlanta Decompression online or call (770) 509-0330today to find out if you are a candidate for Spinal Decompression Therapy.